A new level of thinking allows for improvement of your professional skills, achievement of success, discovery of some new talents, fast response to the events happening, possibility to foresee potential outcomes of events and apply nonconventional solutions. Brain training opens a new window of opportunities. Remember, there is no simple way to achieve a well deserved result. To unleash the potential you need your will, self-control, consciousness, and a systemic approach. Below are 10 effective ways to develop thinking ability.
1. Develop fine motor skills.
- on your left hand touch your thumb to the tip of your little finger to make a circle, simultaneously making a circle of a thumb and an index finger on your right hand.
Now repeat this in succession going from the little finger to the index finger on the left hand and from the index finger to the little finger on your right hand. Repeat for 5-6 times;
- join your palms tight with fingers spread as a fan. Starting from index fingers bend them cross-wise and then return to the initial position, after that in succession cross your middle finger, ring fingers, and little fingers. After that proceed in the reverse succession. At first do this exercise slowly, then speed up. The ringer fingers and little fingers are most often difficult to deal with, keep exercising and you will succeed;
- keep fingers on both hands straight and tight together. Bend the little finger on the right hand keeping other fingers straight together. Simultaneously bend the index, middle, and ring fingers, keeping the little finger straight. Simultaneously change positions of fingers on the left and right hands: straightening the little finger and bending other finger on the right hand, and bending the little finger and straightening other fingers on the left hand.
2. Play brain games.
- logical games, chess, backgammon, reversi, Rubik's cube, Go game, educational computer games;
- conundrums, puzzles, Sudoku; and
- problem solution.
3. Find a creative hobby.
Find time several times a week to visit museums, exhibitions, and cultural events. Learn to play a musical instrument, start writing poems, making up stories, take up drawing or writing. There is no need to make your creative work public; your task is to develop new skills, and creative thinking along with them. The most important thing is to find time for that, and you will certainly achieve some result. You can develop any skill and reach a new level of intellectual abilities at the same time.
4. Give a definition.
Select an object or a phenomenon, for example “circulation” and provide it with the most accurate theoretical definition, which will include all essential features. This exercise trains clear thinking, an ability to identify the essentials and brush away nonessentials. And these abilities will help you in any conversation, negotiations, or business model development.
5. Learn something new.
It is another effective technique to develop your thinking abilities and keep the clarity of mind for the years to come. Below are techniques that can help you:
- foreign languages, when pursuing your daily business listen to music in a new language, watch comedies with subtitles, and make use of a vast number of apps that have appeared recently. But most importantly, set a rule to yourself to learn 5-10 words a day. And do not forget to check your knowledge!
- unknown theories or subjects in which you have been interested for a long time. Find some new information on this subject every day.
- new terms, write down 5 new terms every day and at the end of the week check what you remember.
6. Write or draw with your both hands at the same time.At first, write with your left hand, then – with your right hand, and afterwards – with both hands. Little by little make your tasks more complicated, add different shapes, for example, draw a square with your right hand and a triangle with your left hand, etc. This skill will develop your corpus callosum. The stronger neural connections in the corpus callosum are and the larger in number, the better communication between the left and right hemispheres of the brain is, which means that you will be able to make decisions simultaneously using creative and analytical thinking.
7. Find common features in two objects.Take randomly two almost unrelated words, for example, a cup and a boat. Write down as many common features of these two objects as possible in 5-7 minutes. Turn it into a game: score 1 point for conventional features and 2 points for unconventional ones. After the game analyze all answers for their relevance/irrelevance. This game provides a clear idea of the relevance level of features and details teaches to identify connections which are not plain to see, and develops abstract thinking.
8. Invent the way to use objects.
Choose an object and in 5-7 minutes invent as many ways to use it as possible. This exercise develops an ability to concentrate on one object, ability to use it in various relationships, reveal unexpected opportunities of a conventional object, and, most importantly, see something unexpected and unconventional in conventional objects.
9. Express the same in other words.
Think of a simple phrase, for example, “Summer will be warm”. Now you need to express the same idea in other words. At the same time, it is prohibited to use any of the words used in the initial sentences in your new sentences. Make sure that the meaning is the same. A person with more options wins. The game aims to develop the ability to operate with words easily, accurately expressing your thoughts and communicating the ideas of other people.
10. Make new acquaintances.
Travel and make new acquaintances. If you do not have an opportunity to travel, watch videos about different countries and traditions which are available in great number on the Internet. This helps broaden your horizons, acquire new experience and knowledge, and change the way of thinking and habits.
Brain building is a system, and if you leave out just one link, the entire result may be too modest. Two or three exercises cannot bring the desired result if they are not supplemented with physical exercises (including at least a daily 30-minute walk and morning exercises), a balanced diet, water balance maintaining, and a good night sleep. When you really want something and see your goal, find some time and rearrange your daily round in light of your new aim. Stay inquisitive, fill your life with useful pursuits, positive emotions, and let yourself explore beyond limits!